Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Things That Happen in The Philippines

Well for starters just wanted to say Happy 4th! Even though I’m a week late I apologize. But at the moment I'm away from you in another country I love: The Philippines. Alright pretty good week this week. Had a couple of cool experiences and random things happen so here it goes!

First I would like to start off with a small victory, and a fun fact. Our mission in every apartment has either water filters or water jugs for filtered water. We were told we should have at least 5. When they checked the apartment Sister Andrada told the mission that she told us that only the Sister Training Leaders in the mission and the CLAVERIA ELDERS (that's us) were obedient to that request. Small little random victory that's not super important, but hey it's a victory nonetheless. 

Other fun fact, we have lots of spiders that chill around the house and I always notice a particular one with 7 legs. One day we came home around 8, and around 10 I noticed something different on my desk, turns out he was chilling there for a while and was camouflaged. So why don't we kill him already? Because he keeps away/ eats cockroaches for us, so we prefer him over them. He doesn't bother us either so it's all fine. 

One more small random thing that happened this morning: I found a frog in my shoe. He was about the size of my heel. I can tell you it felt weird trying to put on my shoe and having something squishy inside, and when you try to see what's inside have water start pouring out. That doesn't happen every day.

So now for more of the mission/spiritual side of my week. Here's a cool start of what could be a really cool experience: One day we were exploring more of an area we haven't been to much, and after talking to some people we learned that there was a member close to their house. So we decided to go, and we discovered it was true. 

When we met her, we learned that she was baptized into the church back in the 1990's and all of her siblings are members. She's even had a couple that served missions too. Sadly she became inactive quite a while ago and her husband is Catholic (his parents are Jehovah's witnesses) so her kids aren't very religious. 

She does have a lot of kids and she told us she actually really wants them all to go to one church, and she want's it to be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She has wanted to explain to them about the church but she doesn't know how and only now have Elders come to her after all these years. 

Here's a cool part: She told us she has a child that died awhile ago and the day before we came (July 3rd) she had a dream about her and she had 2 people with her in white. Then the next day (the daughter’s birthday) 2 Elders dressed in white show up. It was a very cool start and I hope we will be able to teach her. We weren't able to teach her because she had to go somewhere the day we wanted to come and her children are always in school until 5 which is a busy time for everyone. Hopefully we'll be able to teach her so we hope to go there this week!

As for our other investigators, it was a slower week. We only had 2 of them show up to church which made us a little sad. One that we have really been wanting to come to church (Sister Dae Shin Keith, 13) was busy again taking care of a small store they have and a small pool resort. but her cousin and friend came. We decided to move her baptism again to make sure she is really ready and active. It makes me sad because there's a chance I won't be there for her baptism, I might not be there for a lot of our investigators’ baptism, but there's a chance I could stay. 

I've come to realize it's not important if I am the one at their baptisms, but what is important is they're gaining a testimony that this church is true and they want to be baptized. So even if it's not me there, I'm glad I was able to help them on the way. Who knows, maybe I'll still be able to be there for a couple or all of our investigators that are progressing. 

We are praying for them every day and doing our best to help them gain a testimony that this church is true! I know it is, and I can help others know too! We are going to keep continuing to do our best to help others come unto Christ through this Gospel! I know it's true, and I know it can change lives for the better. Thank you again for everyone who supports me and hopefully I can continue to help others! Mahal ko kayong lahat! Tandaan niyo po lagi ang kahalagahan ng ebanghelyo ni Jesucristo! 

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Here's my monkey friend



This guy has been chilling at our apartment for a couple weeks now



Another shot of Mabnang


Just a tree a dirty fishpond and I (with some effects to hopefully keep you all entertained)




1 comment:

  1. Glad to you are having good experiences! Your temporal and spiritual experiences are treasures you have put in your bank already. I makes me homesick seeing the scenery where you are! It has been a long, long time that I have been in the Philippines! We're of you and continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete