Sunday, July 2, 2017

Fast and Time

Well time certainly does fly doesn't it? At least that’s how it was this week with several things, such as traveling to and back from Laoag, zone conference, fasting, and seeing lots of good people I've met start to go home.

We had another zone conference this week which I was really looking forward to. The only downside about zone conference is it's 3 hours away and half of that trip is switchbacks through the winding mountains. I survive though. I do take some medicine every time and just deal with the head pain. The travel is worth it because the zone conferences are always very good.

This zone conference was quite a good one, and I learned a lot. We had lots of different topics that we talked about such as Obedience, the "crocodiles" in our lives and Fasting. The story of the crocodiles goes as follows (or a modified version): The crocodiles are very subtle and sneaky in Africa, and patiently hide in waterholes for thirsty animals to pass by. The point of the story is that they are extremely subtle and can really catch us off guard. We need to always be on guard even when something doesn't seem so bad or it can even help. Just be ready to use the Armor of God always!

The one that really helped me out though was fasting, because honestly I have struggled with fasting my whole life. I just really love eating so it's a bit of a struggle for me. I am quite proud of myself when I actually get myself to do it but I know it's a way to humble ourselves. We talked about a model fast and I decided to work on my attitude when I fast. 

So this last Friday through Saturday I managed to make it. I got off track and distracted a couple of times but I was fine. We talked about letting the spiritual man be stronger than the Physical, so that's what I was trying to focus on. I felt that even though my body was weak. It really did help me spiritually. I know fasting is a very good way to humble ourselves and become more connected with our Heavenly Father. Although 24 hours seems like a lot to go without food and water, I know it really helps. If we don't focus on the hunger or thirst and focus on the blessings, it really helps!

Speaking of time passing by, it's weird to see how much time has actually changed. During zone conference I got to talk to a lot of my missionary friends that are now on the verge of going home. As I come closer to my 1 year mark, I see more and more people going home. Sometimes it's sad to see them go home cause it's fun to hang around with them. Time goes on and we get to meet more cool people! This life is full of great people, so just do our best to meet them all! 

This week was great! We got 6 of our investigators to come to church. I was slightly bummed because 2 that I really wanted to come and fasted and prayed for didn't come but I am happy with our result and know that sometimes Heavenly Father’s Will isn't ours, and we just have to accept His Will and timing. It's not up to us. Although sometimes we may not like it, we just have to know that God knows what He is doing. Hopefully soon we shall see some success in our area!

As for the mission I love it and enjoy it! I learn so much every day and even though sometimes it feels repetitive, we are still just doing our best to stay positive. 

Elder Yranon and I have a great area so we're doing fine. We're celebrating the differences between each other always and we are both constantly working on being a better teacher and missionary in general! Day by day we learn and it's all going well! Thanks once again for all of your support, to all of you who are reading I love you all and hope for another good week! 

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Bangui zone June 29, 2017


My brothas Elder Ossola (one of the first Americans I met) and Elder Uele (one of my previous zone leaders)



Sister Eclavia, my "sister" here in the mission


Sister Persia, my STL


Elder Anderson and Elder Langeveld, My zone leader when I was in Laoag and my Zone leader now. They're both going home this July :(



Elder Yranon, Elder Odermott (my MTC companion) and his anak (child) Elder Santillan


No comments:

Post a Comment