Sunday, June 3, 2018

As the Weeks Pass By

Would you look at that! It's already June! You know, back in Utah when you think of June you think of summer. No more school and vacationing time. Here in the good ol Philippines, it's a little different. June here means it's the rainy season, the start of school and everyone starting to be busy again. Nevertheless that is alright, and we can still work effectively. I mean we've been doing it for awhile. I'm not sure if the time I've spent here is catching up to me but I find it interesting how I feel during the afternoons. It's also fun meeting someone new every time we go to this one house full of relatives. 

It's been kinda weird this week cause every morning it's all bright and sunny, then around 1 or 2pm we start seeing dark gray clouds, and next thing you know it starts raining. It wasn't too bad for the most part, except Saturday

That day we legit had to take cover 2 or 3 times and wait out the rain so we didn't get soaked. It's surprising how long rain can last. We got stuck the first time under a shed for half an hour. But, our spirits are still high, even though our socks are soaked. I'm not sure why either. Maybe it's the almost 22 months catching up to me but I've been really tired around 1-4pm the past couple of weeks. 

I'm pushing through it though, and I've been studying diligence in Preach My Gospel so am really doing my best to work hard every day even though we're tired. Nothing we can't handle!

We kinda had switch off days this week, where one day we were pretty successful, and one day we had almost all of our appointments fall through. Whenever we have slow days, I always think to myself that to everything there is opposition, meaning there's a really good day coming because we had a slow day. 

So all is well! It's a lot of work opening an area. We're doing our best to keep planting seeds. 

We've found some rocking people while we've been here, and my favorite so far is the Salodez family. They are in a little compound of houses and are all related to each other. There are several children that really want to listen and every time we go there we have someone new that we meet. 

This last Saturday we were teaching around 13 kids and parents the Plan of Salvation. It was like we were teaching Primary. 

Afterwards we had another really cool lesson with one of the kids' mom, who really wanted to join in a couple days ago but her husband was drunk. Her husband is very nice though and we're actually teaching them both now. The wife was really curious to know how the Mormons started, and when we taught her we could tell she was really listening. So far she has much potential.

We also had some success Sunday when we were able to coordinate with the members to help provide transportation for some of that family. We had 4 of the kids come, and although a little at first, we can see the desire of the other family members. It's slowly growing. 

We're also really grateful for the members. We've only been here 3 weeks, but I already feel close to several of them and there's already a bond. It's awesome. I'm really glad to be assigned in Cabugao. 

Fun fact: one of my favorite families from Batac ward stopped by on their way to Baguio. My love for the people here is real and they are the best people. 

So there goes another week in Cabugao. It wasn't the fastest most interesting week, but it sure was a good week! 

I bore my testimony in Ilocano during fast and testimony meeting and all the members thought it was great even though I still don't know much. Whatever language we speak, I know that this work is true.

I'm grateful to help strengthen the saints here in Cabugao. Let's pray for more and more good weeks until it's over! 

Until next week, love you all!

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Just chillin on P-day


May May taken stolen shots



Rocking the Flower look and Glasses



Dinner with Mommy Sandra


Working with Vlad


2 comments:

  1. Very refreshing to be reminded how sometimes it is tough and challenging missions can be! I am very proud on how my grandson Joseph takes to the task! I am learning how to be more positive as I read emails from him,from David and from Tina! I thank them for their perseverance and understanding of whatever situation they are placed in! Enjoy the rain Elder Espiritu

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This is Tito Jose, not sure why I can only make the comment as Elder Andrew Tansiongco.) I like that comment, "Enjoy the rain." I remember that rain would clean the air in the Golden Triangle, and you could enjoy that cleaner air for a day or 2. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that lots of water washing over the Laoag area keeps the air clean and the land sustained! Enjoy the rain!

    ReplyDelete