Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Wonderful Batac Life

Hello World/anyone who reads this! How was your first week of 2018? For me, it was pretty busy. We did end up going to Laoag for hot showers, confetti in our face, and new shoes, along with 2 1/2 companionship exchanges, and lots of changes for this coming cycle! 

Alright so after our work Tuesday night, we headed over to Laoag for "Missionary Leadership Council" or MLC. We got there around 9:40 and talked to all the Zone Leaders from the whole mission. I didn't sleep too well that night and woke up around 5 thinking it was 6:30 cause some other people were already up, so I thought "why not?". I went and ironed my shirt and showered. Little did I realize how great hot showers are. I felt blessed. 

We were also blessed with food in the morning and time for personal study. MLC of course was great again. Each zone presented the results of the work of their zone, and since Laoag basically hit their goal and were top baptizing this month, they shot confetti in everyone's face (see pictures for result). 

Another fun fact: turns out the wife of the mission President (Sister Andrada) actually reads my emails, and last week read about the story of my investigator gluing my shoe and her finger. Because of that, she decided to buy several of the zone leaders new shoes, including me. So now I have another new pair, which I am very thankful for since now I don't have a giant tear down the side. Thanks again to our loving and amazing Sister Andrada! 

After those fun times, the next day we had exchanges with some Elders assigned in San Lorenzo. Around 9 Elder Pati-on and Elder Tauiliili came to our apartment and we went straight to planning and went out. I first went to eat Chowking with Elder Tauiliili then we headed to one of our far areas. I had a great time with him and we found a couple of new people to teach, and later that night had dinner with the Stake President. I'm sad he's being transferred, (foreshadow). 

The following day, we headed with them to San Lorenzo to observe their weekly planning. While we were there they also taught us games we could use for family home evenings and gave us a ton of cans of Vienna sausage (which I love so I'm very grateful) then we headed back. 

We then waited for our next exchange with the Paoay Elders. They got here around 3 so we had a little late start. But I first ended up going with Elder Johnson a 6"3 18 year old from Wyoming. We also had fun and had our ward mission leader work with us. 

This exchange was interesting because it was the first time I went with a new foreigner. His Tagalog was still a work in progress but it's getting there. He's only 6 months in the mission. The next day I went with Elder Dollano, a Filipino from the Quezon province, who then taught me some magic tricks and the importance of building trust in people. It's always interesting to see how each missionary approachs people. I learned a lot from each Elder these past couple of days. We taught a lot of people.

The following Sunday, we were once again happy to see the Ulit family (or part of them) come again! This time the 3 kids came (Marvin, Ethel and Vincent). The Mom and Dad are in Ilo Ilo right now due to their mom being sick. We also had another kid come to church CJ, who we have been teaching for awhile, but has just been in a different place every Sunday. Really happy to see them and they're definitely progressing

This week is transfer week. There were 29 in the zone at the start, and from the start we already knew there were 4 going home. Little did we know that 13 other people in the zone are also being transferred, along with Elder Havens. 

So out of the 29 from the start, only 12 are staying. I wasn't expecting that many to leave, but it's time for another adventure! I think I'm starting to get the hang of this zone leader life. 

Now I'm with Elder Ivie, another American from Utah, who is a batch ahead of us. I've known him for awhile!

Life goes by so fast, and basically the thing that is always for sure to happen is change. So it's not if it happens, and when. How well will you be able to adjust? I'm ready and happy as ever. 

Although everything around us changes, the church never will. I still have a firm testimony that what I'm doing is true, and through this gospel we can face the changes in our lives. 

I'm so grateful for all the people were teaching, and I love each and every one of them. Just keep going! Love you all! 

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Batac District (Elder Johnson, Elder Havens, me, Elder Dollano, Sister Cantos, Sister Salde, Sister Taumoepeau, and Sister Kaufusi)



The aftermath of confetti




The Missionary Leadership Council of 
Philippines Laoag Mission


Exchanges with San Lorenzo 
(Elder Pati-on and Elder Tauiliili)



The Yapo Family 

No comments:

Post a Comment