Sunday, April 16, 2017

It's The Random Moments that Are Great

Well, learning my name in Tongan, doing practice English interviews with members and my companion, and having a investigator want to change her baptismal date can make up for a slower week.

It was a little slower of a week when it comes to working and teaching people due to Holy Week. The people of the Philippines are very religious, so this last week they celebrated Holy Week, which for a lot of people is just a holiday (mostly on Thursday and Friday.) It was a little more difficult to teach people just because there was no one out or they were out doing things.

Something I thought was cool that happened this week though is while we were waiting to meet someone by the beach, a less active member (whose brother works with us a lot.) Turns out he is really fond of dancing, and actually competes in dance sport, which is ballroom! I've talked to him a couple of times about dancing, his partner competitions and such. His name is Carlo and is 14. 

He showed me his videos of him competing. For a year of dancing experience his videos weren't bad. It did make me miss competing a little. Part of me wishes I can join in their ballroom competition this coming May, but I know what I am doing is more important. It is cool though to talk about something I really love doing to someone here in the Philippines. 

Aside from that little cool note, another thing that I enjoyed happened this Saturday for a branch activity. All 6 missionaries and the members who attended went around from 2-8 visiting less active members. It was really fun to visit people and I didn't even realize how many less active members there are. We had a lot of stops in those 6 hours, including going from the very end of our area to the other. We had to take a bus and a couple tricyee's to get to the members but it was quite fun. We got to eat with a couple of members and just talk to them. 

While we were walking from place to place is when I learned my name in Tongan from Sister Latu, a new missionary from Tonga. I decided to learn a couple of greetings and such from her, and she is really fun to talk to so I learned things such as Fefe hake (how are you) or ha mea fai (what are you). Oh by the way my name is Siosefa Laumalie in Tongan, and if I served in Tonga my nametag would say Elder Laumalie. I think it's pretty cool. So From what I've learned, Tongan is not an easy language, so I give props to whoever is learning Tongan and such. That Saturday was filled with lots of laughter and smiling. 

The next night on Sunday, we visited a member here who is just visiting from Manila and will return on Tuesday. Her name is Ruth and she's 19. Even though we met her that day, we became good friends right away. She had a really fun personality and was one who liked to mess around. She told me she may go to America to New York. Knowing that she'd have to take an English test, I decided to have a "practice test" with her and Elder Bulado (who has to take an English test pretty soon anyways.) 

I put some fake glasses on and then started the interview. I just asked them simple things such as "tell me about yourself" or "tell me what you're learning/learned in college." They're actually pretty good at speaking English, they're just shy once they have to start talking for a while. It was really just fine and nice to have a more relaxing time.

During that time we received a text from Sister Florida, one of our amazing investigators, saying she wanted to change her baptismal date. So as soon as we got home, we called her. Her baptismal date is currently Saturday April 29th, but she told us she wants to change it to this Saturday the 22nd. We were more than happy to help her change it, and we believe she is already ready. 

We just have to teach her a couple more lessons, but she has been doing awesome. She told us she loves the teachings of the church and really want to be baptized. Hopefully we will be able to change it to this Saturday, we just need to talk to our Branch Mission Leader and Branch President. I am thankful to be able to teach Sister Florida. I love going to her house and teaching her and her best friend Sister Delos Santos, a returning less active. We feel we are close to them both.

That sums up my experiences this week! Even though it might have been a little slower work wise there were still great things that happened. I'm still very happy and am enjoying my time here in Claveria. Well now, until next week!

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net



Claire and I


Sister Latu and I (She is from Tonga and this is her first cycle in the field)


Elder Langeveld (back), Alex (next to me) and Reinz (front in a slightly interesting pose)


Elder Langeveld, Sister Latu and a really nice member (I forgot her name) (also sorry I'm really white in this picture)


Sister Ruth and I



Sister Ruth, her grandma and I



Sister Ruth, Elder Bulado and I (we basically had a short photo shoot)





No comments:

Post a Comment