Monday, April 10, 2017

Fruit of Your Labors

So alright, even though I may have thrown up after an awful bus ride and found a lizard fleeing from a bag of snacks that it chewed through, I still experienced a lot of great spiritual experiences and continue to love being here.

So now to better explain part of the first section, i'll tell you this: I guess I wasn't careful enough and I had all my snacks in my drawer. In this apartment we don't have ants everywhere so I wasn't really worried about it. Then one day I opened my snack drawer (which was on the left side of my desk) and noticed holes all over a bag of pretzels. Then I opened the right drawer (which shouldn't have had food) and found a bag of little chocolate covered peanuts (which should've been been in the left drawer) with holes all over it too. That's when I remembered we had a rat problem, but I never thought it was capable of getting in. Yes it may be 6 or 7 inches, but I didn't think it would be able to get inside a drawer. So I took the affected items out, and layed them on top of the desk and started checking to see what else was affected. I was a little surprised that while I was checking a lizard ran out of the bag of pretzels I just pulled out. I never thought I could say that that has happened to me before.

Well now on to the more spiritual side of things. First I'd like to talk about 2 really awesome sisters. One is a member Sister Delos Santos and the other is Sister Florida. They're best friends and next door neighbors. We have been teaching Sister Florida and it has been going really well. She committed to baptism on the 29th! One day while we were teaching her she was just felt like she wasn't ready yet and just had a lot of questions. But she understands all of the lessons we teach her. While we were teaching her we asked her 3 questions to see where she was at. First we asked "do you believe that what we are teaching you is true?" She said yes. Then we asked "do you believe the Book of Mormon is True?" Another yes. Last we asked "Do you believe that this church was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith?" Yes! We knew she was ready for baptism, if she just keeps continuing to come to church, she will be baptized soon! 

A little thing that assured us she would be baptized is Elder Bulado said he's going home on the 3rd of Mayand she told him not to worry and he will be there when she is baptized. That's not exactly what she said, but we knew that's what it meant!

A day later after we came home from work, we got a text from Sister Delos Santos. The text first read (with my rough translation) What did you do to Sister Florida yesterday? Now she seems happier than ever and she told me what you taught her! It made us super happy to know she was happy. After a little conversation sister Delos Santos asked us a couple doctrine questions and we assisted her in finding them. Sister Delos Santos then told us how she has regained the desire to have scripture study because of us. I am grateful to be able to help her, and I love these 2 sisters.

Now on to another cool experience, on Thursday we got to have a Zone meeting in the are of Pagudpud, which is about a little over an hour away. Side note our area is known as the worst part if you're driving, because it is just windy mountains for about an hour. (luckily I made it there without throwing up, the way back I wasn't so lucky). So we got to meet our zone, (which I like) and even cooler we got to meet the new missionary couple Elder and Sister Nelson from Alpine Utah. Elder Nelson actually served here in the Philippines back in 1980, and told us how different it was. 

What I really want to share is his story. He told us in 1980 he was put in the area of Laoag, with 2 other elders. Back then there were only 40 members. A promise was made to them that if they could have 100 members for 4 weeks they would have a church built. They ended up getting 100 members and he was able to speak at the ground breaking of the new chapel then had to leave. That chapel that he spoke of is now known as the Bantay chapel for Laoag 4th and 5th ward. That is the chapel of the last area I just served in (for those of you who remember it was the picture where I was copying my mom's picture when she served!) 

Elder Nelson was never able to see the church built during his time as a missionary, until now 36 years later returning here with his wife. The first Sunday he was here he went to the Laoag 4th and 5th ward for their sacrament meeting. While he was at the meeting for the 5th ward, 2 of the older women came up to him and asked if he was the same Elder Nelson 36 years ago. Turns out he baptized these 2 sisters when he was still a missionary in 1980 and finally he got to see the fruit of his labors. They stayed strong in the church all these years and now both have big families and sons that have served missions. 

These 2 sisters were actually part of my 2 favorite families when I was still in Laoag 5, the Bituen family and the Gaspar. 2 of my good friends Kevin Bituen and RJ Gaspar have both served full time missions. My last week I had a family home evening at both of their houses and I thought it was really cool to see at the Gaspar family a wall with several missionary nametags in the family.I once again love seeing the influence of one persons lives to several and Elder Nelsons testimony was very strong and motivating. 

A small little fruit that I have been able to seen while I was still on the mission was that a while ago I was talking to a former companion in my first area. I asked how my friend and Recent Convert Kat Kat is and her family. He told  me that they were doing great, and one lesson Kat Kat bore her testimony to her mother which opened her heart up. A few weeks later while I was still in Laoag, I heard from Elder Andon that Kat Kat's mother was to be baptized that coming Saturday. I am so happy to see the spread of the gospel here in the Philippines and I am glad to be here.

I may have talked about this before, but I want to again restate how much of a difference we can make in the lives of several. You may not be able to notice or see it at first like Elder Nelson, but our good decisions do make a difference. I hope as we all follow the right path and help others we can affect others in our lives for good. Love you all, and know that many of you have made a difference in my life! Keep being a shining influence to others!

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


A little resort in Taggat 




Sister Morton (we're in the same batch)


Elder Lewis (First met him my first cycle in the field when there were only 4 Americans)









Early morning Taggat




Early morning Lagoon 






No comments:

Post a Comment