Sunday, April 30, 2017

Ending the Cycle With A Bang, Starting Anew

Even though the trip to Laoag is not fun coming from Claveria, Zone conference is worth the travel, and while I'm here in Claveria at least we can keep ourselves happy with food and family home evenings. It's slightly strange to me that spaghetti is considered aa snack here, but I guess it works! 

Snacking, and talking to some moms and their children that are fond of ballroom. If you are snacking, be careful not to accidentally drink the water from the baptismal font, because it's still pretty brown and might go up your nose, like it happened to Sister Florida this last Saturday. But you know what that means? Elder Bulado and I's last week together had a baptism of an awesome new member!

I hope my first little intro sparked your attention, because I don't want to bore any of you in my letters! Like I said earlier, we traveled down to Laoag last Wednesday for our zone conference! As always I quite enjoyed the zone conference, and one thing that stuck out to me was when the missionary assistants to the President talked about practice. 

Of course the way you get good at something is by practicing it. Everyone who has found a love for something knows that. One of my favorite quotes about practice is that practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. So if you practice lazily, that's how you will perform once the real thing comes. This was related to us missionaries for practice teaching. 

In order to get good, you have to practice always! We can relate this to anything we are doing! Whatever you want to get good at, practice! It doesn't get amazing after the first time. It takes a lot of time but eventually if you keep pushing yourself and practicing, you will get better and better at it! I am doing my best to get better at teaching people here in Claveria, and I plan to get better at practicing!

Speaking of practicing, while I was on an exchange with my other zone leader Elder Nuada, we passed by a school. While we passed by I looked over and saw a bunch of students that were actually dancing. What style were they dancing exactly? Of course the thing I miss a lot, ballroom! I looked over at Elder Nuada and he asked if I wanted to go talk to them, so I we went back to the main gate and entered the grounds of the school. 

I ended up talking to all the moms watching there kids and introduced myself as a missionary, but was a dancer back then! I showed them all my pictures of ballroom and all the youth dancers swarmed around too. So I got to talk to them a bit and talked to them about what I am doing here in the Philippines!

When we asked them where they all lived it turns out they are in the are of the zone leaders. So maybe they could have a good change with teaching one of those mothers! It was fun to talk about ballroom to the people here and it worked as a way to find! Use any honorable way to find right? I found it pretty honorable.

Now to a great honor this last Saturday, I got to baptize sister Florida early that morning! She was one we have been teaching since I got here and she progressed so fast. She was the one who wanted to be baptized last Saturday the 23rd, but she had to wait, which was okay for her! The baptism was great and her testimony was so strong despite the water being brown and the fact she forgot to plug her nose when she immersed so she struggled just a little bit. She's okay and happy as ever! 

I felt this was a good way to end the cycle, and a good way for Elder Bulado to end his mission. He's now going back home to Tacloban and though our time as a companionship was short, it was fun and I learned a lot from him. 

Lots of family home evenings this last week and a lot of fun times to end this cycle in the mission. So a little surprise I received yesterday. I’m going to be a Father! The meaning of this is I am going to train a new missionary this next cycle. I have been wanting to train and now here's my chance. Training’s not easy, but I know I can do it! And because I will now be the senior companion it means I'm becoming the new district leader of Claveria. It is going to be a challenge, but I know with the Lord’s help I can do it, and I am pumped. Can't wait to see what this next cycle has in store! 

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Bangui zone at Zone Conference


Got them Krispy Kreme doughnuts



My fellow brotha Elder Uele 
(my old zone leader 3 months ago)


Branch family home evening


The beautiful baptismal water


The baptism of Sister Florida and 
another little member 
(sorry there were a lot of cameras to look at)





The Labii family 
(they are both returned missionaries)




No comments:

Post a Comment