Sunday, July 29, 2018

Closing Doors, Opening Windows

You know, as close as I am to finishing my life here as a missionary, it doesn't really feel like I'm leaving. Things are going pretty smoothly, and as slow as it felt during the days, this week is already over. I had a couple more last things happen this week, last exchanges, last zone conference, yet I still have time left here (although little). So it should be good. And although God may have closed a couple of doors (for now) He's started opening a couple windows for us (and the future missionaries here :D )

Yes, I finished my final exchange as a missionary this last week, with my good friend Elder Furness from Taylorsville, Utah! Elder Furness is an amazing missionary when it comes to doctrine, language and all. I sitll remember meeting him when we were both new back in Cagayan. He is only 6 weeks behind me, and is still working hard. We had a pretty fun adventure in his area with learning the Philippines national anthem for language study, teaching by the beach and finding more people to talk to. I also got to meet some recent converts that were taught by one of my previous companions, Elder Havens. They're pretty solid. It was a dang good last exchange and I'll definitely miss doing things like that. 

The next day was a little sad but I know happened for a reason. We went over that night to talk to Jaynie and Dhina's parents about baptism. Sister Saludes was actually very nice about it and listened to our message, but as soon as we brought up baptism, she told us that their father doesn't want them to leave the roots of their original religion. Which means they will not be baptized now or anytime soon. We're pretty disappointed, but we know things happen for a reason. Jaynie told us how sad she was and how she has been dreaming lately that she was able to become a member of the church and wakes up disappointed. I know God has a plan for them and it's just not meant for them now. It was a discouraging lesson, but on the bright side, we got to eat until we gained  5 pounds at the branch president's house (which took away the sting.)

So life goes on, and the next day we headed to Paoay for my very last zone conference, which was the first conference I got to hear President Peterson teach. President and Sister Peterson just continue to be awesome. I'm sad I didn't get to know them as well. But the highlight of this conference is all the missionaries that are going home get to bear their departing testimony. I never thought that day would come, and I still remember 22 months ago thinking how 2 years feels like an eternity away. But now look where I am! 

The opportunity to share my testimony to anyone is a great privilege, and I can proudly say that I know this church is true, I know God lives, I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God and translated the Book of Mormon through the power of God, and that Russell M. Nelson is our living prophet today. I will continue to share that testimony for the rest of my life.

So although God closed the door with the Saludes for now He opened an opportunity to plant more seeds and help grow in other people's heart that were able to come to church. The first is Jimuel, who we met awhile ago who just wants to change. He's now come to church 3 times, and really wants to be baptized. So if we're able to teach him fast enough (because of his busy schedule) he can be baptized August 11th (the week I go home :P), and another woman that we invited to come to church (not expecting her to come) but she did! We taught her and extended an invitation for her to be baptized and she said she wants to understand more first. 

So until the end of my mission, I will continue to help others grow in the gospel and understand the importance of the fruit of this gospel that we have. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, and I have been called of God to help these people come closer to him. Whether it's baptize, teach, or just introduce, I will keep doing my role as a missionary until the end (which isn't much longer :D). 

I may not see all the fruits of my labors now, but I know that no effort is wasted. Now that I am on my last week, I will not waste it. That's all I have for now. Until next week, love you all! 

Elder Espiritu

**if you'd like to send Elder Espiritu one last email before he comes home, you can send it to joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Last trip to Baluarte zoo



Partying and running away from dinosaurs 














Last exchange with Elder Furness 









Sister Cobing and Sister Samoya


My Polynesian sisters Sister Faoa and Sister Latu 
(with Elder Young)


My beloved zone leader Elder Petty


Sister Navales


My beloved Sister Training leaders Sister Daplas 
and Sister Agudo :D


Elder Tauilili, Elder Reyes, Elder Corpuz and my cuz Elder Maroket 


My Aussie friend Elder Tauilili


No comments:

Post a Comment