Sunday, July 22, 2018

All In God's Time

Dear Family and Friends,

Does it ever rain hard where you are? I don't think I've experienced the hard rain I have hear at all in Utah. It probably helps that there have been a couple of typhoons. But we're all good. The mission is still the mission and things are going according to God's will. 

So a little fun story before I go into the more informative/spiritual stuff: last Saturday after Elder Peck and I had lunch we went out to work (without knowing of the typhoon in the area) and when we were walking the rain picked up and got stronger, was weak, got stronger and just came in gusts on and off. It was bad enough, that the rain was legit falling sideways, and there was no way to stay dry. The worst part was having to walk towards the wind, which sent rain flying straight at our faces. Although kinda miserable, Elder Peck and I were laughing the whole time, and just tried to enjoy the moment even with soaked bags, clothes and socks. I definitely won't forget that.

Alright now to the more serious side. So yes I was really excited last week for things that we thought were supposed to happen. Well they didn't happen. We were supposed to have 2 baptisms this last week, but things happened, and we're not sure if it's going to happen at all. So on Wednesday we had their interview and they came around 6, and went home around 7 (which is pretty late for teenagers going home) 1 of them passed the interview, and the other one had to wait for someone else to interview her later at night. 

Our mistake was not realizing how early people sleep in the Philippines. So we tried to go to her house with President Peterson (our new mission President from Idaho) but we were too late, and kinda disturbed them. We later found out that they actually didn't tell their parents were they were going and after their father got drunk he was furious that they were home so late, which terrified their mother. So as of now, their parents aren't so hot about the idea of them being baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saings. 

The night this happened, I was pretty devestated. I've been working with this family for about 8 weeks now, and I love all of them. Then when I find out their baptism might not even happen anymore I was pretty sad. Right after the event happened I was talking with President Peterson who gave us some advice. He knows that things happen for a reason and there is a reason they weren't baptized at this time. God has a plan, and it wasn't part of his plan.

It wasn't easy to accept at first. Things were going super well. It's honestly pretty devastating to me that since I'm going home soon I might not even see the the people I've worked so hard with be baptized. But I've come to a better knowledge that it's not about me and what I want, but it's really about God's timing for them. 

I know God wants all his children to come back to Him, but He knows when the time is right to bring them into His fold. So maybe now's not the time. Who knows when it is. It could be August 4th, next month or next year. All things happen for a reason. I've accepted the fact that I might not see what I was hoping to see before I leave, but that's okay. It was never about what I wanted, so all I hope is that they continue to draw closer to Christ even after I leave. Who knows too, they might still be baptized this August. 

I've really come to know while being out here that everything that happens to us, good or bad, is all part of God's plan to help us grow. We can take the hard parts as God abandoning us, or opportunities He gives us to grow. 

So how am I doing? Still doing all I can to work hard until the end, still hoping for things to work out, being patient and trying to stay as humble as possible. It's not easy, but it's not all about baptisms. 

I can still help people come closer to Christ in these last couple weeks I have, and that's what I plan to do. I'll accept whatever God's plan is for me in my last 2 weeks! I know the church is true, and it can change people. But it's up to them to let it change their lives, and follow what God's plan is for them. 

That's all I have for this week, until week, Love you all!

Elder Espiritu


Chilling by the ocean






My awesome Sister Training leaders 
Sister Agudo and Sister Daplas


The Saludes family again :D



No comments:

Post a Comment