Sunday, November 19, 2017

Success and Some Other Things

Success mixed with failure isn't too bad, because the success overrules it all. At least in my case it does. 

Got some fun events that went down along with days where nothing happened. Overall I am happy with life and the mission is going great. 

Got to work with some more people in my district, got to hold something new, and got to see 2 more amazing people baptized!

So here's something you don't see in America: while walking by a couple of kids we know, they decided to show us a giant lizard that their family got. They picked it up, twirled it around, tried to open its mouth like it was nothing. When I finally got the guts to hold it, turns out it wasn't bad. Also they took out it's fangs so we're all good. I can now say I've held a big lizard in the Philippines.

As for the work, I had a couple of fun days along with some slow days. This week of work for the most part was mostly us walking around looking for someone to teach and everyone being gone or busy. We had 3 days this week (one I was sick so we went out late) where every appointment we went to fell through, and we had to wander around for awhile. But all is well. 

I did have the opportunity to go on 2 exchanges, one with Elder Lalangan and one with Elder Pacapac. The greatest thing about working with Elder Lalangan is his area was my 2nd area when I was only 6 months in the mission. So you can imagine how happy I was to go back and say hi. We were able to teach a couple of good lessons, and eat dinner at the Bishop's house (who's family is one of my favorite). The kids were happy to see me. The 3 year old girl (Riley) apparently tells everyone I'm her boyfriend so guess I have a girlfriend (don't get mad Mom) but it was nice to see them. They were impressed that I actually ate a lot of vegetables. It's a work in progress.

On Thursday I headed over to the other area in Vintar with Elder Pacapac. The first 30 minutes we spent trying to go to people and none of them were home. As the time passed we were able to find people to teach. Elder Pacacpac is a really good teacher, especially since he's only been on his mission for 3 months.

The work is going well over there. Last Saturday night around 5, we headed back home and waited for a jeepney (which is a really long jeep, basically like a bus...kinda.) and at 5:30 we headed over to Laoag to the Bantay chapel for the baptism of Karen and Elsie.

It ended it up being a great success, and we got a good amount of people to come. The Spirit was very strong during the baptism, and they are both very happy. On Sunday they were able to be confirmed as members of the church. The blessing is that even though Karen works, and at first she wasn't able to come because of that job, her manager will now allow her to come to church every Sunday! God really does provide a way.

The Vintar life is going well. The branch is still growing. The 35 of us that came yesterday are happy. Numbers don't matter. I know the work is hastening and I'm happy to help others come unto Christ. Love you all! 

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


The floral tie squad (Thanks again Mom and Dad!)



Dinner once again with the Florez family



Vintar and Laoag STL's (Sister Pangilinan and sister Pestano)


My little bald friends and a lizard


Baptism of Sister Karen Melchor and Sister Elsie Ibana



Inside the jeepney

No comments:

Post a Comment