Sunday, January 22, 2017

Loving Where I Serve

Hello to my family, friends and whoever may be reading this! It was another great week. Nothing super special, but a great week nonetheless. 

Elder Andon and I are continuing to find new areas and sometimes they're far, but they are fun to go to. The only problem is now I feel like we have no time to go to the investigators in the farther area! On Saturday we had so many investigators who wanted us to go to them but we had no time. It's a problem I would prefer to have, so I am happy, and I know we will be able to get to them another day.

It still amazes me how nice the people are here. We went to one of the far areas and we wanted to get back fast to our other area so we could teach our other appointments. We found these 2 nice women who were sisters. We asked them the fastest way back and they showed us the way, and came with us until we were at our other area! It was a fun little trip with them and had a couple of hanging bridges, so it felt like an adventure. I love how nice the people are here. 

Another nice fellow came with us this last Wednesday. He saw us at the market one day and asked if he could fellowship with us. He is from a different area in the Philippines and is doing research here. He fellowshipped with the other companionship here first and then us the next day. 

I admire his work ethic. He was the one who wanted us to go to a farther area so we did. His teaching skills are great. After his school he wants to serve. I know he will be great. He told us while we were walking that he really wanted to speak in our sacrament meeting, and he hasn't been able to speak for 3 months! I really admire that. I am not the one to beg for a talk in sacrament. 

You can be a strong teacher without having to be a missionary. There are a lot of those people here. The fellowshippers who come with us help us so much.

I am grateful that I have come to a point with some of my investigators where I am so comfortable around them I can be myself. We have been teaching a 13 year old girl for awhile and even though I can't say everything I want to them, I am comfortable enough where it's not as big of a deal to me. But she is fun to be around even though she is a slow learner. Hopefully she is going to be baptized soon. 

Same with another 17 year old girl we have been teaching. If she goes to church every week she will be able to be baptized at the end of this transfer! I really hope so, because Elder Daclag and I found her before he left, and we have actually become great friends. We are able to mess around when talking to her, and still be able to teach her when it's serious. She teaches me Ilocano sometimes, and other phrases that I would need to know. 

I am grateful I am getting a good relationship with a lot of my investigators. The first thing you need to do when teaching an investigator is build a relationship of trust. I am happy to say that is true with a lot of them, even though the language is still hard. 

I'm sure I say this every week, but, I love the people here, the members, investigators, and all. They are all so friendly, and it makes me sad to think that there is a possibility I could be transferring. A big part of the mission is to love the people, and  I love all of them. I love how much I can be myself around them. One of my favorite parts of the culture here is how nice everyone is. Fellowshipping with them on Sundays is a blast, while we still get a lot of work done. 

There are days and weeks when it feels like this mission is hard, and there are days where I love being here so much. Many days this week I loved it here. I love this mission so much and I am proud to say I am serving here. 

In the few months I have been here I feel like a lot of things have helped me grow as a missionary and person. The hard times and the fun times both help me become a better person. I know that serving a mission is what I should be doing, and I am loving what I do. I still miss all of you, and hope if you ever have the time, write me back! Love you all! Hope everyone had a good week! I hope the snow’s not too bad in Utah! :)

Elder Espiritu

**You can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net






A hanging bridge some nice ladies showed us to


Coagulated pigs blood 




Normita and Benson, 2 members who always fellowship with us in Ariodowen











No comments:

Post a Comment