Sunday, January 8, 2017

Love the People Always!

I enjoyed this week, and am glad for everything that happened! 

Elder Andon has wanted to go to different areas that I haven't been before. So Elder Andon and I explored some new areas that were really pretty. The problem though was it was a little far and the houses are spaced out. I am really excited to be able to explore more of the areas though! 

I realized my area is a lot bigger than I thought! We went to Aridoen last Tuesday which is about an hour walk. That area is actually where most of the members are, but there are a lot of less actives. We brought Benson with us to fellowship so he could show us the area. We went to a couple of members, less actives, and a couple more members joined us to fellowship. I kept talking to the people I was fellowshipping so I could learn more Tagalog and Ilocano. 

After we were done there we got a ride back by the Domingo family, straight into a birthday party for Nanay Genoveva. She turned 72 this week! (Interesting thing is she is actually one of the younger Lolas in our branch) It was a little fun party at her house, and she bought some cake! It's nice to have cake, just because the Filipino desserts are different from American. 

I love the people in this area so much. During the first couple cycles Elder Daclag always told me to stay longer after church and talk to the members to build trust and relationship. I wasn't very good at it at the beginning. Now being here for more than 3 months, I have really started to gain their trust. The kids here have started to like me a lot too. 

Last Sunday after church they hooked there arms on to mine and I swung them around. They kept asking me to do it over and over again, so I ended up doing it for 30 minutes. I love the kids here. I love the YSA too. They fellowship with us every Sunday. I went on splits with them and I was able to hold my ground too when talking to the less actives, members and investigators! If I didn't know a word I could ask them and they would tell me.

I enjoy the older members too. They are all super nice. Although sometimes they are harder to understand just because they know more of the language. I just smile anyways. 

One day we saw a pretty old member, Tatay Miguel. He is really strong in the church and he loves it. He always comes even though he is pretty far, and tries to always look his best. While I was talking to him, he told me he liked the hat I bought earlier this week. So I gave it to him. After that he told me he's really been wanting a long sleeve to wear to church. He's really been hoping to get one. So I decided to give him one of mine. It was pretty big on him, and I told him that, but he loved it. He really appreciated the shirt. 

Elder Mortenson also had pants made here, but they didn't fit him very well, so he also gave it to Tatay. Now Tatay is going to be one of the most stylish members!  

I learned that best way I can talk to people here is to ask them about the language. Elder Andon is really good at talking to people, (he has been here for a lot longer than me). Sometimes I am just quiet and listen because I don't know what to say. But we were at an investigator’s house waiting for her daughter, so I decided to just ask for more Ilocano words and phrases, and Tagalog too. I ended up learning a couple of fun wacky phrases, and a couple of insults. 

I talked to them about how they feel about the different languages here too. Once our investigator Kat Kat came back, she joined in and started giving me more phrases and words. It was a lot of fun and we laughed a lot. Especially right now it's hard to find a way to talk to them, but for me, asking them for words is the best way. They always get excited to teach me and I end up learning more of the language!  

We had another Zone meeting which happens once a month, and my new zone is pretty cool! Our zone leaders are pretty nice too, one of them was the old AP, and one is a new zone leader who is from New Zealand. He's a little quiet, but that's alright. He's good. We also had 2 Sister Training leaders give us a training too. I always find it funny how the Sisters always make the presentation a lot more "colorful" than the Elders.

Elder Mortenson and Elder Monterroyo had a baptism this week! Her name is Angel and she just turned 13 this last December 23rd. She is a really nice hardworking girl. Her father is an alcoholic so she has to care of her family. She has 5 younger siblings, the youngest being 3. She has a really strong testimony of the gospel. She's really caring for everyone too. 

I was a little sick this week, and she noticed that I was really hot, so the next day I saw her, she had bought medicine for me and gave it to me! I am happy she was finally baptized. Elder Mortenson started teaching her during our first cycle here with Elder Taibeti. I admire a lot about her and am happy she is now a member!  

Part of being a missionary here is to love the people, and every week I come to love them more. Working with the members and teaching the non members makes me really happy. We laugh a lot and I love how happy everyone is here. I am grateful for all of them, and all of you who are reading this!

Hope everyone has a great week! 

Elder Espiritu

**You can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Birthday party for Nanay Genoveva


Nanay Domingo and I


Elder Andon, Elder Solis, and 
Elder Pulvera in Gonzaga


The three sombereros


Vincent and I




Pictures from an area we explored this week





Mary Joy and I, a less active in our area



Benson and I


Pictures from Angel's baptism




Tatay Miguel, and the shirt and pants Elder Mortenson and I gave to him.


Justin and Vincent



No comments:

Post a Comment