Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas Conference & Such

This week overall was such a great experience for me spiritually and personally. 

Last week when I emailed I was in the middle of the Christmas party for all of the Philippines Laoag Mission. So the 2nd half of the day all 9 zones performed dances coming from different cultures. One of my favorites was the Haka which was performed by the Laoag East zone. But my absolute favorite was my own zone’s, the Gonzaga zone. 

We performed the Samoan Slap dance and we sang some Filipino songs. Our zone just left their hearts on the floor and gave it our all. The rest of the mission laughed and cheered so much for us. I loved being able to perform here. 

During our dance, all of the Samoans joined us and it was just a great and fun dance. Everyone loved it. I really enjoyed that night. I also got to talk a lot to my batch from the missionary training center. Everyone here is always really close to their batch, and my batch is no different. I love seeing them during these, especially since right now I am the farthest zone from everyone. 

The fun experiences were great, but one thing I especially enjoyed was the testimony of Sister Andrada. The next day after that party we had a conference as a mission. It was great overall and there are changes coming to the mission. But when Sister Andrada bore her testimony, it was amazing and beautiful. I loved it so much. She bore her testimony on the power of prayer.

For those of you don't know, her and President Andrada's son died in a car crash in Manilla a month or so ago. He was only 28. When I found out I was devastated. I and many of the other missionaries and families have been praying for her. And that is what she talked about. 

The power of having 180 missionaries and families pray for her, she and President could definitely feel it. That is another thing I realized I loved in this church. Everyone is so supportive, and 180+ people praying for you is so powerful. It strengthened my testimony of prayer. 

Now after these great multiple experiences in Laoag, even though it was really quick, we had to return to our areas as soon as it was over. The bus didn't leave until 8pm Tuesday, so we got back 2:30am Wednesday. Let's just say no one got up on time. 

I got up at 9 and tried to get right to studying. So I studied while everyone still slept, which was okay with me. I am really starting to enjoy studying the Book of Mormon. I wish I realized how great it was earlier. Even at the missionary training center, I had trouble studying it for 30 minutes. Here it's getting a lot better. I still can't read for too long because my eyes start hurting a little, but I studied for an hour and a half 1 day just in Alma, which is a lot for me. 

A Sister from the Manilla missionary training center told me a really cool quote that I enjoy. "The only person you should compare yourself to, is who you were yesterday and who you are going to be tomorrow." I do my best to not compare myself especially when it comes to language or studying, but I am not perfect. Especially with numbers.

So even though my studying is getting a lot better, my will to work wasn't very high, especially since lately our numbers for lessons taught and such haven't been as high, and since my companion is district leader I can see everyone else’s numbers. I tried to not let it affect me that our numbers are lower but it still did. That is something I am currently working on. 

Last Thursday helped me a lot. We taught Sister Janeth. I am not sure what it was about that day. Elder Daclag told me to share something I read in my personal study. I have really come to love Alma 26:37 now, especially here in the Philippines. It talks about how God is mindful of everyone, no matter where they are. 

I shared my little part and the background and Elder Daclag expounded. As he was sharing, I realized how strong I felt the Spirit. Then I realized how much I have been neglecting it for a little while. I was so focused on numbers and the language and the recent party that I didn't even realize how powerful the Spirit is capable of being. 

It reminds me of a quote I heard back at the Provo MTC. "I hope that you never forget to smell the roses, even when you live at the flower shop.”

Through all of my teaching I probably did have the opportunity to feel the Spirit, but I just couldn't feel it as much. It was because I wasn't paying attention to the feeling. I was humbled when I realized this and now my new goal is to make sure I am paying attention to the Spirit I am capable of feeling, or whatever the Lord wants me to feel. 

I didn't realize how distracted I can get with the other aspects of the mission, that I forgot one of the most important. If you're not trying or can't feel the Spirit, how can the ones you're teaching feel it? I have so many opportunities I just need to remember. So one little piece of advice for all of you (especially in Utah ;) ). That even though you live at a flower shop, don't forget to smell the roses. 

This will be a big week because I am getting a new companion! It was actually a pretty big transfer this cycle. From my first cycle here to now, Elder Mortenson, Elder Bermiso, Elder Pongyan and I will be the ones in the zone the longest. 

Elder Mortenson is also getting a new companion (he started the mission the same time as me) so we will both be leading the area and have 2 new Elders in our apartment! I am so excited! Can't wait to tell you all how it's going next week! 

Love you all! Stay true to this gospel!

Elder Espiritu

**You can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net






























No comments:

Post a Comment