Monday, October 10, 2016

Leaving the MTC & Arriving in Manila

September 28, 2016

Well, I am going to keep this email pretty short and sweet. I fly out today! Isn't it crazy? 6 Weeks have passed by so fast! But I have learned and grown so much here. I love everything about it here and the spirit I felt is so strong. I loved all my teachers and they were such great examples to me. We had a last class for all 3 of them these past few days, and I actually got really sad because this will be the last time I see all of them! They have taught me so much here and I definetely owe a lot of what I know in tagalog to them.

All the people were so nice and all were great examples! Even though I am not ready to dive into the language, I know what I have been prepared with is how much the lord wanted me to have. I plan to give at least 3 people around the airports a book of Mormon. I need to teach myself to open my mouth. It's certainly going to be a different experience once I leave and even just go to the airport. But what I have learned is that if you set goals, the lord will provide a way for you to accomplish these goals. 

We had one last skype TRC with a guy named Anthony last thursday. I still don't know that much tagalog, but somehow, I managed to do really well! Elder Robert's told me I talked 75% of the time with understandable tagalog, I wasn't trying to take over the conversation but he just let me talk to him, and it really helped me out. Anthony was an RM that served in the Philippines and the stories he had were just so great, I could relate to him really well. 

This last week one of our teacher's told us that sometimes you will have down days and not even know why. This last saturday, I definetely had one. One of my companions was sick and my other companion and I just had no will. I had no idea what was wrong with me. I felt not depressed but I just had no motivation and almost felt like I wanted to cry. I couldn't figure out why. We had to teach an investigator that night to. I was still getting used to the tripanionship and I just knew it was going to be an awful lesson. I was just hoping for the best. Well, we went in, and it ended up being one of the best lessons I have ever taught. We sang, and taught about a 35 minute lesson. Everyone in the tripanionship was able to say what they needed to say to the invesigator. I felt the spirit so strongly. I am thankful that the lord was able to pick me up and help me when I needed it. There will always be down days, but I just need to fight and do my best! 

The last couple MTC devotionals were so great! One speaker was a managing director for missionaries ( I think) his talk was very relaxed and it made everyone laugh. It was nice to have a speaker who could make everyone bust up laughing. The other speaker was of the seventy and what I liked about his talk was that I can't just love the people, I need to help them. I want to be the person that is "their missionary". I will do my best to love the people, and to learn how to help them. That's what missionaries are all about.

Soon, I will be in a third world country. I have little knowledge about what to expect and I know I will have a culture shock. Growing up in America I had so many priveleges. I am so excited to get a slap in the face about how many privelges I really had and never actually saw. I am so excited to go to my "mother land". It's going to be hard, I already know. But the lord wants me to grow and that is what I will do. Thank you for everyone who sent me letters, packages, and support at the MTC! It feels so nice to know that you are loved! I hope everyone knows that I love you! I pray for my friends, family, missionaries, teachers, everyone. I want everyone to do their best and stay close to the lord! Mahal ko kayo!

-Elder Espiritu 

================================

October 6, 2016

Finally pagkatapos anim mga linggo (after 6 weeks) I am out of the country para sa unang oras at nararamdaman sobrang mabuti! (for the first time and it feels so good). Pero, it is sobrang iba kaysa Amerika (so different than America). Pagkatapos maraming (after many) flights and getting Isa (one) of my bags lost in Los Angeles I am finally in my "Motherland"! First day we got to go to bed at 7:30 and I passed out.

 At 12:30 the next day we got to proselyte out in Manilla! Ang karanasan doon (the expierence there) was amazing and sobrang iba! (so different). It was amazing to see how the people live compared to America. There are some that live in a tiny one room shack with 5 people and they are perfectly happy! Manilla is so unique dahil you have a ton of slum areas then you turn around and see a bunch of skyscrapers! The mga anak doon (kids there) are so tiny and pretty adorable too. They are everywhere and love to give out high fives. The traffic in Manilla is pretty unique. Let's just say if an American nagsikap (tried) na drive there they would not get anywhere due to how aggresive the drivers are there. Basically there are walang traffic laws there, so a tatlo (3) lane road can be a limang lanes (5) kung puwede kayo magfit lahat ng cars doon (if you can fit all the cars there). 

Ang mga tao dito (The people here) are sobrang humble, I am so excited to see how they are in Laoag! Ang language is still definitely ng pagsubok (a trial/challenge), pero alam ko (but I know) it will come in time. For now, I am awful, pero it's okay-lang! I am a little mad sa akin dahil (myself because) I should have opened my mounth more. Everytime the more experienced missionary tried to get me na magsalita (speak), my mind went blank. Hopefully and surely matutuo sa pamamagitan ng karanasan (learn through experience). 

So walang mga tao dito naniniwala na (no one here believes that) I am a full blown filipino. A lot of them think I am Chinese. (You were right Dad). Almost 90% of the filipinos here see my last name and make some sort of comment tunkol sa kanya (about it) parang (like) "did you know that is spirit in tagalog?" or "wow you must always have good lessons because the spirit is with you". So I guess I am pretty popuular. My white skin can be a blessing and a curse :P oh well! I am most likely to get a pretty bad farmers tan XD 

The time has finally come where I am about to fly out to the mission that I have been wanting to go to for so long! I am so ready and excited for the hardships ahead! It is hard to have all the Elders and Sisters I have met so far leave to their missions, but I know that is what the lord wants. I am finally starting a new chapter in the mission and I am so ready! Laoag here I come!

-Elder Espiritu 



































































































No comments:

Post a Comment