Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween from Laoag

I'm going to be completely honest, this email is going to have nothing to do with Halloween. But, since it is Halloween today, Happy Halloween from the Philippines!

So now let's talk about the mission for this week! Like always, it was pretty great! Challenging, but amazing at the same time! I am writing this email from Laoag, which is 7-8 hours away from my area in Cagayan, because we just had a little reunion from all the missionaries in my batch! Sadly it was super short and it's already over and by the end of this day we get to travel another 7-8 hours back to Sta. Terisita :( but it was fun while it lasted! I got to see a couple of friends I haven't seen in awhile and talk to them about their areas! It's cool to see how different everyone's areas are!

So let's see, what else happened this week. Most of my week has been appointments and no finding! One day we got to find, we took a tric down to a far area in our boundaries. I'm a little mad at myself because I get so scared to talk to people sometimes! I need to open my mouth more! I got a lot of time to think about it after because we usually walk back to our area, which is an hour. 

When I do say things and actually speak to people, the Spirit is great. One of the things I am most grateful for is the language of the Spirit. Without that, I would just be here and wouldn't be able to understand anything they say. Because we have the Spirit, I am able to feel peace and happiness through what we testify and what they say. I still only understand about half, but when the Spirit is there. You can feel it. 

We were teaching a less active family named the Cabudol family. I love them a lot. The mother has 2 daughters (13 and 4) who are great. The 13 year old listens for the most part, but the 4 year old can be wild. Even though she is so wild, I just tried to listen to what the mother was saying. I really just want them to go to church, because when we ask her things about the gospel like prayer and faith, her answers are so spiritual. I love talking to her about them. The Spirit is always there. The problem with them is the day they make money and do jobs is on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully we will find a solution soon! 

Now here's one of the best experiences I've had on the mission so far. I was on a companion exchange with our zone leader Elder Fainu. He is from Australia so he knows English really well. We went to this one house and decided to teach a person named Jhong Tacuboy. Funny side note, I thought he was 16, but he started talking about his wife and kid. I was super confused so I asked him how old he was, and he told me he was 34! 

His story is right now, he really misses is wife and kid, who are in Manila with his wife's parents. He wants to go to them, but he also wants to stay in Sta. Terisita because his family and father are here and he can't leave them. He wonders why he feels so sad and is so weak. That is when we decided to talk to him about Ether 12:27 which is about faith and trials. 

Elder Fainu started it off, then I gave my testimony to him. I said it in the best Tagalog I could and explained how we all have trials and we all have weaknesses. I related to him about how I am away from my family and I miss them. I also told him how my Tagalog isn't the best right now so I struggle a lot to explain myself. But the gospel of Jesus Christ can help us through. 

After I gave my testimony, he looked to Elder Fainu and said something to him. What I understood was that he understood everything I said. When I asked Elder Fainu about it, he told me he understood everything I said. He said it was like the Spirit hit him in the face.

At the end of our lesson, he explained to us how he is Roman Catholic and would like to add to the truth he already knows. He wants to search more. The Spirit was so strong, and I got so excited. 

Those are the experiences that I love that really make the mission so amazing. I want to continue to have more. If you teach by the Spirit, people will listen. 

Stay true to the gospel and it will bless you! Until next week! Love you all!

-Elder Espiritu 

No comments:

Post a Comment