Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Great Weeks

I always find it funny how there's a couple of random differences with every type of person, Americans, Filipinos and Australians alike. Like while proselyting, it's interesting to have one person buy ice cream for a snack and the other buy squid (I bet you can guess which one’s me) and I also found out an interesting fact that it's not part of the Australian culture to leave tips at restaurants. Go figure. 

Also we basically ate leaves of a branch as a vegetable. It's actually not that bad.  Anyways there was a lot of blessings and good things that happened this week, such as finishing the Book of Mormon, people finally coming to church, and a baptism!

After studies one day we needed to get vegetables, so we decided to get malungay. What we did is crossed the streets to the rice fields and searched for some. Some nice people helped us find some so we chopped it up, then took off all the leaves and cooked it in our food (tinola). I am now a herbivore (mom you should be proud).

I am happy to report that this last October 25th, 2017, I finished the Book of Mormon for the 3 1/2 time on my mission! I would say 4th, but I was already halfway done with the Book of Mormon when I entered the missionary training center, so I just count is as 1/2. 

I know this Book is true, and it is impossible for a man to write such a book like this in just 65 days. Every time I read it I learn something new. I still encourage everyone reading to keep reading it every day! It really has the power to change lives and comfort souls!

This Saturday we were able to go to Laoag for Kyle's baptism! Although we only had 2 other people come to the stake baptism for support, we were happy to see him baptized. He was a little nervous as soon as he stepped into the font, but it all went away afterwards. He was baptized that day along with 6 other people, coming from Laoag zone. All is well here.

Other good news: our branch got a little higher attendance again, so we're back on track to keep it rising with an attendance of 44, 8 coming from Laoag. We were also really happy to see that one of our investigators that we have been teaching since last cycle, Sister Karen Melchor, was finally able to make it to church! It's always awesome to see someone you love finally come. We had 1 other investigator come which we were happy to see too. It's interesting to see how much the branch attendance can fluctuate. Hopefully we can keep raising the attendance here!

Life is going well here in the mission. The district is still doing well too. We're all having fun. I'm getting better at teaching as a district leader, and I hope to keep improving! It was a pretty successful week and these weeks always are more memorable than the hard weeks. They make the slower weeks worth it. 

I love the mission and I know this work is true. I love the people here and the experiences that I've had! Until next week! Oh and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Elder Espiritu

**you can email Elder Espiritu at joseph.espiritu@myldsmail.net


Kyle and his 2 sisters Shela and Czlea



Exchanges with Elder Vincent (with Kyle and Erika as a guest star)



I can't remember what these things are called but it's some sort of fruit



We ate all the leaves of these branches (it's called malungay and apparently very healthy)



Stake baptism (Baptism of Kyle Soriano) 





No comments:

Post a Comment